Thursday, January 10, 2008

RED LIGHT DISTRICT (?) IN MAKATI, Philippines

I've put a question mark after "red light district" because this place isn't like the red light district in Amsterdam, which is very forthright about sex for sale. The place I'm writing about is a section in Bel Air, Makati,where there are numerous bars, clubs, and hotels - and guys looking for girls, and girls in little short skirts cruising, looking for guys. The only difference here, is that unlike Amsterdam, the guys and girls trolling Bel Air can pretend they are looking for real love. In Amsterdam, I would think it would be quite a stupid man who would be looking for love in that red light district.


Seriously, here in Makati, I've come across a couple of older White guys looking for wives. Now, you are probably wondering what I would be doing in a place like this - and the answer is simple - I used to stay in place nearby and I used the internet cafes in the area.

The computers in the internet cafe I'm in right now all have cameras, for Skype users. I don't know if they still have the little rooms with the cameras, but a couple of years ago they did. A hairdresser named Lisa (a guy) had explained that these internet cafes have private rooms used by girls who do business via the internet. They apparently pick up clients from internet chat groups,and accept payment via Western Union. I will stop here and let the reader figure out what else transpires.

I mentioned this to my high school nun, Sister Consuelo, and she affirmed that such rooms do exist. She talked about an internet cafe in Cebu which she once used, and she wandered down a hall with little rooms! She asked the manager about those rooms, and the manager didn't give her a straight answer, according to her. So, my relaying to her what Lisa said educated Sister Consuelo about what happens in those little rooms. I think she may have gone back and scolded the manager.

All for now, from Makati's Redlight (?)District
Cecilia 

Read also

Remembering the Woman in Amsterdam
From Hanoi to Ho Chi Ming City
Kenya Safari
Ireland 1, 2
Visiting the American Southwest
Visiting Colonial Mexico
My Love Affair with France
Burma
Malaysia 
Grand Tour of Egypt 1 (visit also Egypt 2, 3
Maids in the Mist - Canada  (and visit Canada 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Turkey 1 (and visit Turkey 2, 3, 4)
Brazil 1 (and visit Brazil 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The Fascination Called China
Northern India in March 
Thailand and Cambodia
Peru

tags: Red Light District, prostitution, Philippines, Makati, Manila, travel, tourism holiday

No comments: