Friday, January 4, 2008

RACE TRACK (AGAIN!), RAIN, AND JAY LENO

We went back to Santa Anita Race track. Lauren wanted a repeat of his winning a trifecta the last time we were there. I was hopeful that the rain would invalidate handicapping and I'd have a shot, what with my picking horses by name or color. Not too many people at Santa Anita, and many horses were scratched. Well, the way it went, the favorites were winning, except for the last horse when we picked the favorites, and the long shot won. In short, we lost. But that is what gambling is all about. In fact I have an aversion to gambling; it has something to do with some family legend about some grandfather or great-grandfather who was a chronic gambler and lost tracks of property. But I'm open to occasional playing with slot machines or visits to the track.

The rain - it's falling in torrents! In buckets! And that's good, I think, because we've had a serious drought. The problem though is that the rain is falling so hard and is likely to cause landslides. The traffic coming home was bad; people in California are so unused to rain that they ride their brakes and do scary things in the sleek freeways.

Jay Leno - poor guy! He's missing his writers, and is struggling with writing his own material. I never thought writers would be sorely missed.

No comments: