Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homage to Concepcion Cuenco Manguerra

Re Concepcion Cuenco Manguerra

I heard from my mother's friend in Facebook, and I'm reprinting here our conversation. Vincent honors my mother; thank you, Vincent!

  Vincent Carlos: Gavin, si Cecilia Manguerra Brainard ba anak ni siya ni the late Dona Conception Manguerra? Just wanna know cause naka puyo man ko sa apartment ni Dona Iton during my college days at La Salle. Just extend my regards to her and her family...ok you take care...God bless you always... 

  Gavin Bagares: Yes, she's the daughter, I'll tell Baby, my regards cousin:  
Gavin Bagares: Baby, my cousin Vincent Ruberton Carlos is in the US, too, maybe you can see each other one day? 
 
  Cecilia Brainard: Hi, Vincent, yes, Mama was Concepcion Cuenco Manguerra - and yes, she opened up our place in Malate to many, I'm glad you knew her. She was one of kind. I have some pictures of her in my site. I'll Friend you and you can see. 

  Vincent Carlos: Tita Cecilia, musta na? Imo Mama and my mother were very close to each other when both of them were still alive here in this world. When I graduated from high school in 1991, my mother was looking for an apartment for me to live in Manila when I was about to study at De La Salle University and your beloved Mama offered her studio apartment to us in a very cheap price. Oh, your Mama was very kind to us because if it was not for her I would not be able to study at La Salle because to live in Manila was very expensive. My late mother used to see her most often in Cebu for ballroom dancing and your beloved Mama was very happy to be with her. They were the best of friends. When your Mama was in Manila we talked a lot about everything under the sun and she had a very good sense in business. She was a successful businesswoman and she taught me common sense in business and in life. I had fond memories of your beloved Mama and I remember her always in my prayers. Your brother, Uncle Jess, was also the best friend of my late father. They were schoolmates at the University of the Philippines in Diliman in the 1960s. My mother, Patricia Ruberton, died of heart attack while my father, George Carlos, died of pneumonia since he had a stroke for 5 years and both of them died in the hospital. Dona Iton, as she was fondly called, was an icon of the Cuenco and Manguerra family. She was a living legend of your clan in Cebu. I will be very happy if you include me in your friends list and if you could show me some pictures of your beloved Mama. I would be truly grateful to you and your family. Ok this is all for now and I hope we could communicate to each other most often through facebook. Thank you again for including me as your friend...you take care and may God bless you always... 

  Cecilia Brainard: Hi, Vincent, I knew your Mom, Patty Carlos. I was sad to hear she passed away. I made a memorial site for Mama. I'm happy to hear what you said about Mama, etc. http://www.palhbooks.com/iton.html 

  Vincent Carlos: Tita Cecilia, yes, your beloved Mama and my beloved Mother were really the best of friends when they were still alive. Your Mama was very supportive of my Mother and when my mother had projects for the poor your Mama was always on her side. Back in the 1990s, my Mother was the president of Cebu Travel and Tours Association and she also owned her own travel company. My mother had a debutantes ball for charity for the St Martin de Porres school of hearing and mentally impaired children. My mother asked your beloved Mama to be the Queen Mother and immediately she accepted her invitation without any hesitation. As a matter of fact, your beloved Mama donated P200,000 to the Charity ball which my Mother installed. I cannot forget how closed they were when they were still alive. Your beloved Mama loved ballroom dancing and parties and she also loves to travel. When she calls my mother for ballroom they were always together. She loves my mother so much and she treats her as if she is her daughter. In Manila, when your beloved Mama was there we talk a lot of things under the sun. Either business or in life. Your beloved Mama had a good sense in business, she was very keen in making a living. Your beloved Mama was a successful entrepreneur and businesswoman. Yup both my mom and your Mama were constant ballrom companions in Cebu and she was always very happy to be with my mom. Your beloved Mama had a heart for the poor and charitable in nature. I know by now she is with God her loving Father in heaven. Ok Tita Cecilia, thank you for including me as your friend. Hope to talk to you again in facebook. Ok this is all for now and you take care...God bless you always and regards to your family...

No comments: