Saturday, January 26, 2013

F. Sionil Jose in Cebu - Play, Progress

I just got back from a lecture by Filipino author, F. Sionil Jose (Frankie) followed by a theatrical performance based on his short story, Progress. I was happy to see Frankie and his wife Tess.  It was the Cebuana writer, Lina Espina Moore who introduced me to them back in the 1987 soon after the release of my first book, Woman With Horns and Other Stories. We launched the book in La Solidaridad, the bookshop run by the Joses. Frankie and Tess have been most kind to me, launching my other titles in their iconic bookshop, La Solidaridad. One of the books was launched the day Mount Pinatubo exploded; I remember the layer of ash on everything when we left the bookstore - but that is a whole long story by itself.

I saw Frankie in California when he was there a number of years ago, then followed many years when I didn't see him.  When Mayen Tan (Lifestyle Editor for Cebu's The Freeman) invited me to tonight's event, I said, "Yes!"

Filipinos know that F. Sionil Jose is an important Filipino writer; to my non-Filipino readers, let me say that F. Sionil Jose has the great honor of being one of the Philippines' National Artists. 

So tonight, Frankie talked a bit and the Cebuano cast directed by Henry put on their entertaining as well as educational play version of Frankie's fiction set during the Marcos era. It's about a female public servant who is given the runaround and more just to get her promotion. Frankie's story has a serious tone; the play had a lighter tone.  The auditorium at CAP was filled with mostly students, who enjoyed the play and asked intelligent questions after the show.

If you're in Cebu, I do recommend the show.  Here are some pictures:














~~~
Comment from Michael Angelo Renoy Mapute, January 26:

Thank you Ms. Brainard for gracing the musical play, Progress, a deconstruction of F. Sionil Jose's short story.

More than enthralled, I was surprised to see not only Sionil himself but also the "visionary" creative author, Cecilia Manguerra Brainard.

It was staged last night at the CAP Bldg., of Cebu City attended by other local writers from Cebu.

Their presence is more than a show of support to the local talents of Cebu.




~~~~~
tags: Filipino, Philippine, literature, F. Sionil Jose, Cecilia Brainard, writers

No comments: