Monday, November 11, 2013

How to Help Philippine Victims of Super Typhoon Haiyan - and Lamentation of Grief


News about the super typhoon Haiyan, its landfall and the destruction it left behind has been coming in bits and pieces. Initial reports said hundreds died, then one thousand, then ten thousand. Today, Reuters reports there is an estimated 10,000 dead in Tacloban, Leyte, another 2,000 missing in Basey, Samar, and there are more areas that have not yet even been reached because roads are impassable.



This is the second major disaster that hit the Visayan-speaking part of the Philippines. On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 the Central Philippines (Bohol, Cebu, and surrounding areas) was hit by a 7.1 magnitude earthquake. Historic churches were flattened or badly damaged. While the death toll as a result of the earthquake was in the hundreds, unfortunately, thousands died because of Haiyan.




.

It is taking me a while to process all this.

Fortunately I missed these two dramatic events in my place of birth, but I have family and friends there. I speak the same language as the victims of Haiyan. We are Visayans; we are kin. I feel for those who died and for those left behind. They have suffered much.

I share their sorrow, and from the Bible, I quote from Lamentations

Behold, O Lord; for I am in distress: my bowels are troubled; mine heart is turned within me; for I have grievously rebelled: abroad the sword bereaveth, at home there is as death.


They have heard that I sigh: there is none to comfort me: all mine enemies have heard of my trouble; they are glad that thou hast done it: thou wilt bring the day that thou hast called, and they shall be like unto me.

Let all their wickedness come before thee; and do unto them, as thou hast done unto me for all my transgressions: for my sighs are many, and my heart is faint.



~~~
Pictures courtesy of Trizer D. Mansueto, Louie Nacorda, #RescuePH, and Jesus S. Matubis Jr.

These links give you the names of organizations helping the victims of Haiyan:
How to help Typhoon Haiyan Survivors 
How to help Typhoon victims
How to help: Organizations offering relief to Typhoon Haiyan Survivors

Addendum: My friends and I have donated directly to the Parish Priest of Odlot, Northern Cebu, Philippines, which was 92% damaged:
Father Romeo Desuyo
Dona Filomena Bldg. 2nd Floor
Zulueta St. near Logarta
Tinago, Cebu City
Cebu, Philippines
Read: Love Package for Northern Cebu, Philippines Arrived!


Read also
Childhood in the Path of Typhoons
Miracle baby: Girl born at airport
Philippine typhoon survivors beg for help
Typhoon Haiyan: Philippines destruction 'absolute bedlam'
It was like a Tsunami
Update - Destruction caused by Super Typhoon Haiyan or Yolanda 
 The Yolanda Aftermath in Photos
Typhoon Haiyan Hammers Philippines
Living with Typhoons in Manila and Cebu, Philippines
Bayanihan: Cebuanos helping Philippine victims


tags: Philippines, Visayas, typhoon, storm, super typhoon, Haiyan, Yolanda

Praying that help arrives on time to the victims,
Cecilia 

No comments: