Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hot Chocolate Drinks: Chocolate-Eh, Chocolate-Mexicano, Chocolate-Filipino




The above picture shows Doug Noble and Lauren Brainard at the Cafe San Agustin in San Miguel Allende, famous for their Chocolate drinks. Every time I visit San Miguel Allende, I have hot chocolate there. I've tried their Spanish, French, as well as Mexican chocolate hot drinks.

Like many Filipinos, I'm a chocolate drinker. 



When I was small, my mother used to buy chocolate tableya (tablets) and make chocolate drinks. For years, she used to send me tableya to the U.S., sometimes with great trouble. I told her not to bother when I discovered Mexican chocolate in California supermarkets -- Ibarra, Abuelita, in the Mexican section usually, in bright yellow packaging. 

I take one Mexican tableya, add 1 can of evaporated milk to it and whisk together over low heat. This is good for 3 cups, more or less.

A better recipe is the following: 1/2 Mexican chocolate and 1/2 local Philippine chocolate (the chocolate from Batangas is great). Philippine chocolate is pure, with a bit of bitterness, and when you mix this with the milder Mexican chocolate, you get something very tasty, something with "more personality."

This half-Filipino, half-Mexican chocolate drink is best served with local Filipino delicacies as puto, bibingka, suman, etc. Truly, it's a feast for a king, or queen.


 Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia - Filipino Barbecue Pork
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada 
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe of Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda 
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers 
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold  

tags: food, drink, chocolate, eating, kitchen, Mexican, Spanish, French, Filipino
This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: