Monday, June 8, 2015

Philippines: Cuenco Family of Cebu and Lopez Family of Naic, Cavite




Percival Cruz sent me a picture that includes my grandfather, Mariano Jesus Cuenco. Mariano is the gentleman in the middle of the page, behind women in black. This photo was taken at the funeral of Mariano's maternal aunt, Concepcion Lopez.


My family genealogy has always interested me and I used to ask the older generation for information about the different family members. One relative who fascinated me was Remedios Diosomito Lopez who married my great grandfather Mariano Albao Cuenco.  She was always described as "ruling" her family. She was widowed at the age of 39 and raised her four surviving children with an iron hand. (She was married at 13 and bore 16 children, many of who died at infancy.) 

Her oldest son became an archbishop (Archbishop Jose Maria Cuenco of Jaro, Iloilo); the second son became a senator (Senator Mariano Jesus Cuenco), and the third son became a congressman (Congressman Miguel Cuenco. Her daughter, Remedios, was known as a storyteller. 

Remedios was rumored to have been the daughter of either a Spanish Admiral, or Spanish Colonel, or Spanish priest. When her husband died, she took over running his Imprenta Rosario Press, making her the First Woman Publisher in the Philippines.


I never knew Remedios had a sister until I heard from Percival who is descended from Concepcion Lopez's line (sister of Remedios). 

Remedios is the woman on the right

To clarify and to speak in biblical terms: Juana Lopez begot Remedios and Concepcion. Remedios begot Mariano Jesus Cuenco (and others). Mariano begot Concepcion Cuenco (and others). Concepcion Cuenco begot me (and others).

I'm including these links that give more information:
Remembrance of Things Awry, the Families of Old Cebu
How My Great Grandmother Remedios Lopez Cuenco Died
Excerpt from Archbishop Jose Maria Cuenco's Autobiography
Four Generations of Filipina Women - from Juana Lopez to Cecilia Manguerra Brainard
Roots - Pictures of my Mother and More
More re Juana Lopez and Family

Tags: Cuenco, Cebu, Philippines, politics, society, Juana Lopez, Remedios Lopez, Mariano Jesus Cuenco

This is all for now,
Cecilia



No comments: