Monday, May 9, 2016

Huffington Post: Mother's Day "Death of a Carnival Queen" #women, #Philippines



Huffington Post reprinted my article on my mother, "Death of a Carnival Queen."  I hope you enjoy it and please don't forget to "Like" the article on Huffington --- top right, underneath the Title:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cecilia-brainard/mothers-day-death-of-a-ca_b_9863160.html

Here are pictures of my mother that are included in the article.

Here are two sites about Cebu Carnival Queens, updated by Cecilia Brainard in 2022:

https://cbrainard.blogspot.com/2022/01/cebu-carnival-and-other-queens.html

https://cbrainard.blogspot.com/2022/01/cebu-carnival-queens-philippines-from.html






~~
Comments posted in Huffington Post:
Perla Daly · 
Thanks for sharing your mom's story, Cecilia!
LikeReply1May 9, 2016 4:01pm
Susan Evangelista · 
Beautiful, Cecilia! Thanks for this!!
LikeReply1May 11, 2016 1:08am
Teresa Concepcion · 
Dear Cecilia:

What a joy to read the story of your mother. Your writing exquisitely and lovingly evoked the 30's period in your mother's life. I love the simplicity, the economy, the rhythm, and the cadence of the telling of her story. It is comfort food for the soul.

I lost my mother two years ago. She was ninety five years old. Like your mother she had her time in the sun. And like your mother, she lost her husband early in their marriage, leaving 7 young children in her care.

Somehow, your story reminded me that my own mother had a life before she became "the" mother.

Thank you for sharing the lovely tribute to your mother....See More
LikeReply1May 9, 2016 4:21pm
Nenutzka Villamar · 
I'm pleased to be reading articles regarding Filipino culture. Filipinos comprise the largest immigrant population in California. Sadly when I was growing up in California, there was nothing about my culture represented in the media. I'm happy that has changed.
LikeReply1May 9, 2016 3:54pm
Swapna Pawar
Once again, a lovely article! Your mother was beautiful (inside and out) and so are you smile emoticon
LikeReply1May 10, 2016 2:09pm

Read also

The Kindness of the French, by Cecilia Brainard, in Huffington Post
Cebu Philippines, Politics: Cebu's Cuenco Family in 1932
Cebu, Philippine: The Old Families of Colon Street
Life in Parian Now, by Cecilia Brainard
Lola Remedios and Her Sayas

Tags: women, mothers, mother and daughters, family, Philippines, Cebu, Visayas, Carnival Queen, karnabal, Filipino, International, beauty queens

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: