Tuesday, May 17, 2011

UCLA Extension's Publication Party 2011- Eve Caram & Cecilia Brainard

Here's a picture of Eve Caram (author of the newly released Corpus Trio)and myself. This and the other publication pictures are courtesy of Mae Respecio (thank you Mae!).This was taken at the 18th Annual Writers' Program Publication Party of UCLA Extension. The readers were: Barbara Abercrombie, Francesca Lia Block, Laurel Ann Bogen, Michael Buckley, Rick Bursky, Eve La Salle Caram, Samantha Dunn, Linzi Glass, Daniel M. Jaffe,Rachel Kann, Stefan Kiesbye, Edan Lepucki,Suzanne Lummis, Leon Martell, Lou Mathews, Colette Sartor, Steve Sohmer, and myself (Cecilia Manguerra Brainard).

The May 12 event was held once again at the Skirball Cultural Center, 27011 North Sepulveda Blvd., with it's lovely auditorium and patio.



I have to say that this year had the best program ever. The readers had great selections and were particularly considerate at staying within their designated 5 minutes. This event allows me to meet the new younger teachers, such as Michael Buckley who it turns out teaches at the California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA). I had taught for CSSSA for around 5 summers, along with Traci Gourdine. It was wonderful to listen to Mike's work and to get caught up on with CSSSA news.

I was also particularly delighted to hear selections from Barbara Abercrombie's collection, Cherished, presented by Samantha Dunn and Linzi Glass. Cherished was/is Amazon.com's Number 1 bestselling book on Pet Loss/Grief. I myself have a story in it, about my beloved cat, Kiki. I was torn between sharing that story or from my own third short story collection; I opted to read from Vigan and Other Stories. (Fortunately I'll have the opportunity to read about Kiki this Thursday at Flintridge Books, 1010 Foothill Blvd, La Canada at 7:30 p.m. along with Barbara, Bob Goldman, Monica Holloway, Samantha Dunn, and Melissa Cistaro.)

As always, the poets, Suzanne Lummis and Laurel Ann Bogen, are always delightful to listen to; they are indeed master performers and great poets.

Daniel Jaffe was there, and I made sure I bought a copy of his new novel. I was proud to listen to Eve La Salle Caram, friend and mentor of many years. It was also a pleasure to see Lou Mathews again. Lou and I go back a number of years when we both won the California Arts Council Fellowship in Fiction at the same time. He has been ending the program in the past years, and Lou is gracious and acknowledges Linda Venis and the staff for all their hard work in putting this wonderful program.

What the reading does is help create a literary community. I know it makes me feel connected to these writers. These events feel like a reunion, in fact. Most of all, it makes me feel proud to be be teaching with these talented writers. The work presented is always fine and impressive.

The Writers Program took a video of the event, which will be in the writers' webpage in their site. As soon as it's available, I'll link to it.


All for now, stay tuned,
Cecilia

No comments: