Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cooking with Cecilia - Pancit Bihon Guisado, a Filipino Rice Noodle Dish


I've kept this tattered copy of Philippine Cookery and Household Hints for many years. It was given to me by the mother of one of my good friends who unfortunately passed away when she was in her mid-twenties.  Tita Loring Victorino must have sensed the book would be a perfect gift for a young woman who was uprooted from her native Cebu and transplanted in California. Indeed the book has been very helpful to me, especially when the internet was not available.




Since we had cooks in the household I grew up in, I knew little about cooking. I had to learn, and this book taught me how to cook lengua (tongue), kare-kare, morisqueta tostada, humba, biko, and so on. I can't say I've tried all the recipes in the book, but it's been a treasured source when I was stumped about Filipino home-style cooking.

I still check this old cookbook, just as I did today to make Pancit Bihon Guisado, a rice noodle dish.  Here's the recipe from this book that's been my companion for many years.

To tell you the truth, I improvise a lot when I'm cooking and so today, I used peas instead of green beans, and chicken instead of pork.

Tita Loring, you're no longer with us, but thanks again for gifting me with this book!

~~
Pancit Bihon Guisado

1/2 k bihon
1/4 c oil
1/4 head garlic, macerated
2 Chinese sausages, sliced and fried
1/4 c pork, sliced
1/4 c shrimps, sliced thinly
1/2 c shredded cabbage
1/3 c sliced green beans
1/2 c patola (loofah)
1/3 c shrimp juice
Green onion leaves, cut fine
hard boiled egg, sliced

Saute garlic, onion and meat in a saucepan.
Add the vegetables and simmer with the broth
Season with soy sauce and pepper
Add bihon and cook until dry
Serve with green oinons and sliced egg, with patis (fish sauce) and kalamansi (or lemon)
Serves 8
~~
Read also
Pancit from Wikipedia

Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe of Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold 

tags: food, wine, noodles, pancit, Filiipino, cooking, guisado, recipe

This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: