Thursday, December 5, 2013

Nelson Mandela Answers my Question on Violence vs Nonviolence


Dear Readers,

I was saddened to hear about revolutionary and politician Nelson Mandela's death. Like Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Mandela has always represented to me Non-violence resistance, a subject matter that I oftentimes ponder - read my blog entry on "Who Was Right Mahatma Gandhi or Che Guevara, A Question of Violence vs Nonviolence.



Take a look at this interesting first interview of Nelson Mandela when he was 42 years old and hiding underground from the South African authorities. He makes a statement near the end where he opens up the possibility of other methods of obtaining social justice from the government.  Please click on the link to get to Mandela's first interview and hear him say, "I think the time has come for us to reconsider...if the methods we have applied are adequate."

I believe Mandela answers my question.

This is all for now dear Readers.



Cecilia

~~~

 Read also
Chicago Tribune's Nelson Mandela Dead
Recalling Nelson Mandela
Mandela's death leaves South Africa without its Moral Center




tags: Nelson Mandela, nonviolence, anti-apartheid, South Africa

No comments: