Sunday, January 4, 2015

The First Time I Got Drunk - #CeciliaBrainard


The first time I got drunk was when I was 19 and a group of us threw a party at home. It was summer. My older sister and cousin had just returned from Spain and Paris where they had pursued post-graduate studies. (I suspect they learned how to party mostly in Europe.) They proceeded to make sangria and rum cokes for our party. I was used to sipping sweet drinks like Pink Lady or Purple Cow, and the sangria and rum cokes quickly went to my head. The rum coke especially, because it tasted like Coca Cola.



At end of the night, my sister and I went to our bedroom, which we shared. When the lights were out and we were in our beds, I recalled feeling the room spin.  "The room is moving," I called out to my sister. Without saying a word, she kicked the trash can over to me.

I was never again drunk like that, although I am known as a "Cheap Drunk" meaning I can easily get tipsy on one or two glasses of wine or liquor. Drinking is not my thing, although I do drink socially. I do get a bit heady after the first glass; and I get terribly chatty, but that's the extent of it.

To the young people reading this blog, it's really NOT cool to get drunk. It makes you lose control and makes you act stupid.  You don't need it to have fun.

The pictures are from that time period of my life - those magical summers in Cebu, Philippines.
Read also
School Life in the Philippines in the '60s
The Schools I Attended, Part 1
The Schools I Attended, Part 2
The Schools I Attended, Part 3
The Bachelors and Femina Days of Cebu
Where Have All the Young Men Gone?

Tags: drinking, alcohol, teenagers, Cebu, Philippines, #CeciliaBrainard

This is all for now,
Cecilia






No comments: