Friday, July 17, 2015

Cebu Philippines: The Sinulog 35th Issue and Mayen Tan


l-r: Mayen Tan and Cecilia Manguerra Brainard

I spent an afternoon with writer-editor, Mayen Tan, who gave me a copy of the 35th anniversary issue of the Sinulog magazine. As editor, Mayen had invited me to write an article for the commemorative issue, which I did, entitled, "My Mother and the Santo Nino."





The Sinulog Festival, the biggest celebration in Cebu, attracts millions of tourists. This Mardi Gras type festival is held during the third week of January to honor the Santo Nino or Child Jesus. A statue of the Child Jesus had been presented to Queen Juana of Cebu by the Spaniards. This statue, which is said to be miraculous, is venerated and housed in the Santo Nino Basilica. It is the focus of the Sinulog.


Click on the pictures to make the images bigger.  The  pictures show the cover, the pages with  my article and a page that includes pictures of Mayen and me during a past "Karnaval" program.


Read also

Tags: Cebu, Sugbo, Philippines, Visayas, Sinulog, festival, Santo Nino
This is all for now.




No comments: