Friday, February 26, 2016

Cooking: Fifth Taste Umami Discovered!



I was with Food Experts recently, including Chef Gene Gonzalez, historian Felice Sta. Maria, another historian Bryan Koh, and two food writers: Amy Uy and Jenny Brillos.

Half in jest, I told them about the secret ingredient in my Beef Bouguignon -- and I will say it here --- soy sauce.  I expected them to laugh as people often do, but they took the information in thoughtfully then said, "Ah, umami."



Chef Gene Gonzalez in particular must have noticed the blank look on my face and he spent some time explaining to me what "umami" is.

It's the fifth taste, along with four basic tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, and salty.

Umami, a newly discovered taste is described as a "pleasant savory taste."

In trying to describe the taste further, Chef Gene Gonzalez said it has a fermented flavor, as that found  in cheeses and wine.This, I understood, because indeed I can taste that unique flavor in cheese and wine.

He went on to say, with great wonder, that man has unique looking taste buds that correspond with each taste.

Courtesy of Wikipedia


The Foodies in the group discussed how these taste receptors help keeps us healthy.  If we have a hankering for a particular food, it's possible that our body needs some elements in that food.

In other words, as God's creation, we're pretty well-synchronized!

Fantastic!


Presenters and Organizers of the Food Writing Workshop of the Power of Pen held last February 13, 2016 at the Edsa Shangri-la

Read also:

Umami: The 5th Taste
Umami Information Center
The Fifth Flavor

      Tags: food, eat, cooking, recipe, foodie, umami, taste, #foodie

       This is all for now,
        Cecilia



No comments: